Hancock Park District has a variety of trails for hiking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing located throughout the parks system. Please check out the TRAILS CHART for distances, surfaces and types. (HERITAGE TRAIL AT LITZENBERG CLOSED SEPTEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31 FOR HUNTING SEASON)
- Heritage Trail: West terminus is located at the Litzenberg Heritage Trail Center and travels to the Van Horn Cemetery. The trail covers approximately 20 miles along the Blanchard River in Hancock County . The original trail was developed in 1963 by Boy Scout Troop #323. The trail connects parks, historic sites, reservoirs and area landmarks over a variety of paths, some paved in Findlay , others grass, dirt and gravel. The Heritage Trail is NOT a bicycle trail. Only sections that travel paved roads can be traveled by bicycle. (HERITAGE TRAIL AT LITZENBERG MEMORIAL WOODS CLOSED SEPTEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31 FOR HUNTING SEASON)
- The trail features:
• Yellow trail markers with black directional arrows as you hike east to west.
• Urban sections, marked both ways, but combined on the same side of the road.
• Primitive sections in the countryside follow roadsides and go through some parks.
• Medals or patches available for a small fee to registered hikers after completion of Heritage Trail Application Form. The form and medals and patches are available through the HPD office. HERITAGE TRAIL APPLICATION FORM
• Recommended route, traveling west to east, begins at the Heritage Trail Center and travels to the Van Horn Trailhead.
• Brochure available through the HPD office and at the Litzenberg Memorial Woods Heritage Trail Center
HERITAGE TRAIL MAP (HERITAGE TRAIL AT LITZENBERG MEMORIAL WOODS CLOSED SEPTEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31 FOR HUNTING SEASON)
LITZENBERG MEMORIAL WOODS PARK MAP
- Bridle Trails: Developed through the partnership of local and state agencies with volunteer groups at various park locations. Riders are asked to be courteous to other trail users and clean up after horses. Other riding areas are located at Van Buren State Park with 10 miles of riding trails.
- Cross-county Skiing Trails: Nature and paved trails suitable for cross-country skiing. Trails are Riverbend are groomed in during good snow conditions.
- Nature: Non-paved trails, covered with woodchips, grass or small gravel.
- Paved: Asphalt trails are located throughout some of the park areas for persons requiring hard, flat surfaces.
Reminder - as you enjoy using the trail system throughout the Hancock Parks system, please remember to be a
RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERand pick up after your dog. Recycled bags are available throughout park areas at Riverbend, Litzenberg, Oakwooks and Riverside Parks to dispose of dog waste.
TRAILS CHART (HERITAGE TRAIL AT LITZENBERG MEMORIAL WOODS CLOSED FROM SEPTEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31 FOR HUNTING SEASON)
HPD VISITOR GUIDE