6100 U.S. Route 224, Findlay (west)
Litzenberg History: In 1985, the property was bequeathed to the Hancock Park District by the late Otta Litzenberg to be sustained as a forest preserve. Initially, the HPD received the woods and buildings with the farm fields to be used for conservation purposes until 2017, through a special trust agreement in Mr. Litzenberg’s will for the Garrett Wykoff Masonic Lodge in Lima. A monument to Otta and Ruby Litzenberg is located near the flagpole and an interpretive panel about the “Litzenberg Legacy” can be viewed at the scenic overlook deck. The park area officially opened to the public in 1995.
McKinnis History: The park area was originally settled by early Hancock County pioneers Charles and Mary McKinnis arriving in 1822 from Chillicothe, Ohio. A log cabin was built first somewhere nearby upon arriving and later replaced by the current McKinnis House. Built circa 1847, the vernacular Greek Revival style home is furnished in a style common to rural farmhouses during the 1800’s. Charles and Mary raised six children and are buried with other early settlers and family members at the little cemetery known as Indian Green located just east of the park area on U.S. Route 224.
Living history programs are conducted with costumed interpreters portraying McKinnis family members and neighbors throughout the year for the general public or by request. Additional information can be obtained in the Program Section or by calling the HPD office during open hours.
LITZENBERG MEMORIAL WOODS BROCHURE WITH MAP
HPD VISITOR GUIDE